Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Thankful

If any of you ever watch Extreme Home Makeover then you know how touching they can be. Last Sunday's episode was about a family and their little girl has cancer. I have worked in the medical field and have had my own personal experiences with health problems so I am not a stranger to the struggles. Something about that family just really touched me. I had been thinking after listening to conference about the things I needed to do to be a better mother and wife. The things I needed to do to fulfill my job. When I saw that family and the way the little girls brothers were with her it just touched my heart. I am so lucky to have two beautiful and healthy children. There are so many people out there that have sick children. That have to live every day like it is the last, because it just may be. I decided that I was going to make a mental effort to be thankful for my children every day. To appreciate all the things I get to enjoy and see them do. I'm not saying I didn't appreciate them but there are mom moments when it's been a long day and my patience is wearing a little thin. It has been those moments that over the past few days I have been able to pick up my babies, hold them, tell them how much I love them, and let us both have some comfort. I think of the love and patience my Heavenly Father has for me and I owe that same thing to my children. I want them to always know that I love them, that they can come to me with anything and that I will love them no matter what. I want to appreciate every day with them, the cute things they say, the new things they do, the experiences we have together. I want to learn from them all the things they can teach me. I truly believe they are here to teach me. I love learning new things with them. I love turning everyday experiences into teaching and learning experiences. I am so thankful for my children and so glad I am their mom.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Great post Lara! I saw that episode and it really touched me as well.

Tracy said...

What a great post! I think I need to concentrate more on being thankful for my kids too.

Anonymous said...

I missed that episode, Jeremy skipped my timer for the baseball game! Ugh! One thing that I always notice and admire about the families on there are that the kids always seem so loving towards eachother and so grateful for what they have. It really makes me realize what spoiled brats my boys are. I really need to work on that.

Mandy said...

That is so wonderful to hear that.. it's inspirational! How is your ex sister in law? found her yet?? Is that who was missing? haha I forgot!