Thursday, August 14, 2008

Philadelphia Eagles!


Since Philadelphia is only about an hour and a half to two hours away Jeff and I have been watching for pre-season tickets. Well we finally found some and Jeff was able to get the day off work and off we went. We left the kids with Camille (can I just say how thankful I am that I have a friend here that I trust and we have fun and our kids love playing together.) and Jeff and I took off to the game. We were late getting out of here because of our traffic problems on the Holland Tunnel so we just dropped the kids off and grabbed our tickets and left. I didn't have time to check the weather so we could dress appropriately or anything. We got to the parking lots just as the game was starting so we got to our seats about half way through the first quarter.





Yes that is a garbage sack on my head. Whatever it takes to keep dry.
The whole drive it rained but we just kept thinking maybe the storm had already passed over Philly. We hadn't been in our seats 2 minutes and it started to rain. Not just a little sprinkle but a full down pour. Next thing we know the ref is listening to something in some head phones and he runs out on the field and starts yelling at the players to get inside. At this same moment fans are starting to head for cover. Then a message comes across the screen that says there is a severe weather warning with lightning and wind gusts and all fans must exit their seats and take cover inside.


We stood around and watched the rain for awhile and called our parents to see if Fox was saying anything (it was a nationally televised game) and then decided to walk around to the different food stands and find something to eat.
Well a $5 hot dog was just not sounding great and since I don't love hot dogs anyway I wanted something else. The very last food stand that we could see only had one thing on the menu. A Schmitter. They were handing their customers a wrapped sandwich looking thing and the smell from the grill was wonderful so I walked up and asked the guy what a Schmitter was. He proceeded to tell me about the finest steak and cheese and the best tomatoes and where they were grown along with the blacked salami and the kaiser rolls they had made that afternoon. I was sold from the start but he made it sound wonderful. Wonderful it was! It made me less sad about not getting my cheese steak sandwich from Tony Luke's that I fell in love with our last stop in Philly.

Almost an hour after the game stopped (with 5 minutes left in the first quarter) the game started again. The rain hadn't stopped or slowed down at all but the lightning and thunder had quit. So we sat out in our GREAT seats (12 rows back from the field right behind the Eagles bench) and froze to death, soaking wet. I got up and went inside a few times to get out of the rain and run my hands under the warm water in the women's bathroom. I also tried to find a stand selling hot chocolate or any hot drink just to hold in my hands. I can not remember the last time I was that cold. My hands were wrinkly and blue and my teeth didn't stop chattering until we had been in the car for quite awhile with the heat on full blast. I must not have looked good either because while I was standing inside I had a few people come up to me and ask if I was alright and point the way to the first aid station. By the time we left after the game I was starting to really feel crappy and my balance was off and I was seeing things. Oh the things we do for our hubby's. I'm glad they didn't cancel the game so Jeff could see them play and so I didn't have a super grumpy husband. The last time we saw the Eagles play was in San Francisco and McNabb had broke his ankle so we didn't get to see him play. Jeff enjoyed it and got to see his team play in their own stadium. Our clothes were completely soaked. Note to self next time buy the rain ponchos the guy is walking around selling for an insane amount in the parking lot. I would have paid double what he was asking just to be dry.

Yes that is my hubby in the freezing cold without a coat. He gave up his semi dry one to me to try to get me warmed up.

And I just have to say that looking at him is not all that bad either.


You can see more pictures from the game on the eagles website here. And I will post our pictures when I get them loaded on our computer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, what a nightmare. There is nothing worse than being cold! I do love football though.

Angela said...

Looks like your summer has been a lot of fun. I wish I could even visit New York. How great to live there for a while. When are you going back to Idaho? Keep in touch. Post some new pics of the kids. I am dying to see them.

Angela said...

WOW! Looks like a fun summer. I have been thinking lots about you. How are you? We will be in the states in October. Maybe we can get together.