Friday, September 04, 2009

Glucose Test

I have been really bad about writing in a journal with this pregnancy. I think for those months Jeff was gone I was in survival mode and just did what I needed to. Plus it hasn't been the funnest experience but I think it will be important for this baby and me to remember some day all the challenges and what a true blessing and miracle this little one is. About a month or so ago they started noticing my amniotic fluid levels were high. They weren't too high and there were no physical signs with the baby on why they were high (usually it's an indication of growth or other problems with the baby). Baby has been measuring great every week and heart, stomach, brain and everything else they look at and check have been exactly how they should be. Well since they ruled out everything except side effect of medication they had me do my 1 hour glucose test a few weeks early. I passed it with great numbers but each week since then Dr Belfort has been asking me, you took the glucose test and passed? Yep, I really did. I personally think he is just expecting something to be wrong with all of my problems and since nothing has happened yet he's making sure he's not missing something. So I saw him again yesterday via broadcast (isn't technology amazing) and he was really happy that I have made it this far. He admitted he never thought I would. But he decided he would feel much better if I went ahead and did the 3 hour glucose test just to make sure. My first response was "You really hate me don't you Dr. Belfort" and he replied how he always does with "No I do this because I love you and want to make sure you and that baby are taken care of." I told him I knew but he sure did like to torture me in the process. So this morning I had to be at the hospital at 8 am after fasting all night and drink the horrid sugar drink (you would think with technology they could make that taste better). I then got to spend the next 4 hours chillin in the waiting room and having my blood drawn every 30 minutes for the first part and every hour for the last half. So now I get to wait until Tuesday (gotta love holidays) to find out my results. At least the good part is I'm 30 weeks so if I do have gestational diabetes I don't have that much longer to go.

3 comments:

Chiemi said...

Ugh, I have to take my 1 hour test this week. Never had to do the 3 hour one thankfully. I feel for you!

Unknown said...

Hey Lara, hope all is still going well for you!

Lacy said...

well the story can't end there. How was the glucose test?!? Weight, you that was a while ago! You might have this baby already. Man I'm out of the loop.