Sunday, July 27, 2008
World Trade Center
This was probably our favorite stop. It was a totally different feeling than everywhere else we went in the city. I have to be honest and say it was not on the top of my list of things to see. I was fine if we went but I thought I wouldn't have cared if we didn't make it. I am so glad that we did go and for anybody planning a trip to NY it should be on the top of your list. Jeff has wanted to go since shortly after it happened so I mostly wanted to go for him. We got off the subway and for most of it it is all fenced and covered for construction so you can't see in. We walked around the other way to where the tribute center is and the Ladder 10 fire station. The tribute center was closed but the doors to the fire station were still open to see the fire trucks and fire fighters. The station is still in full operation. As soon as we got to that point you could feel a change in the surroundings. Jeff and I have both tried to come up with words to describe it and we can't. Even Isaac could feel it. He became so calm and asked me "what happened here". I took this amazing opportunity to teach my little boy about our freedom. I told him that some bad men flew planes into the tall buildings that used to be there and hurt a lot of people. Then I told him about the fire fighters standing next to us that had gone into the buildings and fires to help rescue all the people. He asked a lot of questions like why would they want to hurt all those people and where are the buildings now. I answered all of his questions and showed him pictures of that day. I'm not sure that he will remember what he felt there that day but that was the first thing he got up and started talking to me about the next day. It is the story he has told his friends and family on the phone. He was so quite and learned so much in that time. It was amazing showing my little boy somewhere that history has happened and he will learn and hear about his whole life. I was thankful for the spirit that was there that provided that opportunity for me to teach my little boy how thankful I am we live somewhere we can be free even though we are sometimes not liked because of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment